What’s the best chair for someone with neck pain?

Customer: What chair do you recommend for my neck pain?

C.C. (Colm Campbell): The best type of chair, particularly for you with a neck problem, is a recliner. It’s really three chairs in one. You probably sit upright then, like the majority of men, after a period of time you get uneasy and start shifting from one buttock to the next until eventually your bottom moves forward in the seat and away from any support in your lumbar spine. This position puts great stress on your neck.

clifton2Customer: How the hell do you know that?

C.C.: I’ve been observing this for many years. Most women can sit for several hours at a time without moving. Men start fidgeting about after a much shorter period.

Customer: Why?

C.C.: I think women have better designed undercarriages. Anyway, when you get the squirming urge, in a recliner you just simply tilt the chair back. This relieves the uneasy feeling by transferring pressure to a different part of your body. And so on.

Customer: Yeah. But hang on. By doing this isn’t the S tilted to a different angle?

graph from a swedish studyC.C.: Without sounding condescending, that’s a very intelligent question. You’re absolutely right. But look at the Swedish diagram again. The more you go to a reclining position the less the stress becomes. With the recliners we make, as you move from one position to the next, the spine and thighs are fixed. They don’t move relative to each other. So no matter how you sit you are always in the S position.

This entry was posted in FAQs. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

7 Comments

1. Posted October 4, 2012 at 7:48 pm | Permalink

Heya i am for the first time here. I found this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out a lot.
    I hope to give something back and help others like you helped me.

2. Posted October 8, 2012 at 10:03 pm | Permalink

Hi there to every body, it’s my first visit of this blog; this weblog carries awesome and truly fine data in support of visitors.

3. Posted June 18, 2013 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

Have you ever thought about adding a little bit more than just your articles?
    I mean, what you say is valuable and all. But think of
    if you added some great visuals or videos to give your posts more, “pop”!
    Your content is excellent but with pics and video clips,
    this website could definitely be one of the greatest in its niche.

Wonderful blog!

4. Posted June 23, 2013 at 10:20 pm | Permalink

Spectacular website. Lots of valuable information listed here. I’m just submitting it to many pals ans also discussing inside tasty. As well as, appreciate it to your work!

5. Posted November 29, 2013 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

Hi ,

Very sorry , most two way recliners that support your head are good for your neck,

many thanks,

Sean

6. Posted November 29, 2013 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

Go to http://www.back-shop.com Click on “ZS Chair” and download ‘Brochure” also click on
    “The Book” in menu at top of page for synopsis of my book
    “The Engineering Solution to Suffering Back Pain”

7. Posted November 29, 2013 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

“The Book” in menu at top of page for synopsis of my book
    “The Engineering Solution to Suffering Back Pain”